I love mangoes and chicken and this is a match made in heaven…Mangoes are plentiful here and I am always looking for ways to use them apart from smoothies and crispy chicken goes really well with the sauce and it has chilli…Enjoy!
For the Mango Sauce:
- 2 fresh ripe mangos, fruit scooped out (or substitute 2 cups frozen or canned mango)
- 1 red chilli, de-seeded and diced, or 1 tsp chilli sauce or 1/2 tsp dried crushed chilli
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar.
- 1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 thumb-size piece ginger, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, Take out the vein and roll and finely shred.
For the Chicken:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (or rice flour)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 to 3 chicken breasts, cut into 2-inch-long pieces or you can cook the chicken breasts whole and slice..I have tried both ways and think I prefer to slice first.
- 1/4 cup oil for pan-frying
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/2 to 1 mango, cut into chunks (to finish the dish) optional.
- 3 to 4 tbsp coconut milk or water.
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup fresh coriander, chopped.
Place the 2 ripe mango cut into chunks, red chilli, rice vinegar, soy sauce, fish sauce, lime juice, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, turmeric and kaffir lime leaves in a food processor or blender. Blitz well, until more or less smooth.
Taste the sauce.
You should have a balance of sweet, sour, spicy, and salty. Add more sugar if you find the sauce too sour (this will depend on the sweetness of your mangoes). If not spicy enough, add more chilli. If not salty/flavourful enough, add more fish sauce. If too salty or too sweet, add more lime juice. Play with your flavours add a little at a time and keep tasting as you can always add more it is harder to adjust the balance if you have put too much of one thing in…Just keep tasting…
Set to one side.
Then In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and salt. Add the chicken pieces and turn or gently stir them to coat evenly.
Heat a wok or frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the oil, then begin frying the chicken pieces, 3 to 5 minutes per side, or until light golden brown and cooked through. Remove chicken from pan and set on a paper towel.
Lastly, put a pan over a medium-high heat and add the mango sauce plus red pepper. Bring to a gentle rolling boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook until the peppers have softened but are still a little crispy
If the sauce becomes too thick, add 3 to 4 tablespoons water.
Add the fried chicken pieces, gently stirring them into the sauce. If desired, add chunks of mango (fruit of 1/2 to 1 ripe mango). Simmer briefly, just until everything is hot.
Do a final taste-test for salt (tasting the sauce together with the chicken). Add a little more fish sauce or chilli if desired.
Transfer to a serving dish. Sprinkle with fresh coriander or some lightly pickled vegetables or deep fry some julienned vegetables and serve with Thai jasmine-scented rice or rice of your choice.
Connect to Carol( Moi)
Pinterest : https://www.pinterest.com/caroltaylor56/pins/
Enjoy the rest of your weekend I hope you have a lovely Sunday and the weather is kind to you xxx